Partner, Forensic and Dispute Services
|Adam is a partner in Deloitte’s Forensic and Dispute Services department. He joined Deloitte in November 1996 and was admitted to the partnership in June 2008. Adam heads the Forensic and Dispute Services team in the Midlands, South West and Wales.|
Adam has considerable experience of a wide range of forensic work including the following:
- Fraud and other financial investigations;
- Contractual disputes;
- Loss of profits claims;
- FCPA investigations;
- Matrimonial work (including business valuations);
- Professional negligence claims;
- Other expert witness work;
- Completion account disputes; and
- Forensic technology work.
Adam has acted as the expert accountant in many disputes, has given evidence in Court and has assisted Counsel during the course of trial on several occasions.
Examples of assignments in which Adam has been involved include:
- Advising clients involved in Competition Appeals Tribunal cases in respect of the losses they have suffered as a result of others abusing their dominant market position.
- Investigating and preparing reports on the financial affairs of individuals involved in matrimonial disputes (including business valuation).
- Working alongside law enforcement agencies and administrators and liquidators of businesses to provide financial investigation expertise and advice on recovery routes available.
- Advising a client involved in an international arbitration case concerning an alleged breach of a sales, marketing and distribution contract ($350m claim).
- Appointed by parties to act as the Independent Accountant to determine matters in dispute between them. These include SPA related completion account disputes and other contractual disputes such as operating agreements.
- Prepared reports in a number of matters involving alleged professional negligence. Such matters have concerned audit work, Solicitors Accounts Rules work, valuation advice, actuarial work and due diligence work.
- Advised parties involved in breach of contract disputes and prepared expert accountant reports quantifying the loss of profits of companies arising from business interruption and breach of contract.
- Led a substantial investigation into the accounting irregularities identified at a subsidiary of a UK listed company. Investigations revealed a financial statement fraud that had significantly overstated the results and asset position of the subsidiary.
- Led an investigation into allegations of public bribery and corruption at a European communications and technology conglomerate.
- Led investigations into irregular transactions at a number of financial services clients. Such transactions including: substantial one-off payments, rogue trades, manual entries to conceal accounting losses and manipulation of results through debt provision understatement.
Adam qualified as a chartered accountant in 1996.
Tel: +44 (0)121 695 5606
Email: Adam Smith