Partner - Corporate Finance Advisory
Nick Prior leads Government and Infrastructure, following a wide-ranging career in banking and procurement. He specialises in the commercial structuring and negotiation of large and complex government programmes. Nick has held senior roles across government, for example at the Ministry of Defence he formed and led the Private Finance Unit (PFU). Previously he led the Infrastructure Financing team at one of the industry’s leading international banks, SMBC, and held senior management positions in the private sector as well as in an NHS Trust.
As Head of the PFU at the Ministry of Defence, Nick held responsibility for the Ministry’s procurement strategy and policy and the delivery of a portfolio of over 50 infrastructure, equipment and utility projects with a capital value exceeding £11 billion. While leading the PFU, Nick was also a member of HM Treasury’s Projects Review Group.
Before taking on the role at the Ministry of Defence, Nick was Projects Director at Partnerships UK with particular responsibility for working with HM Treasury on the development of financing structures and on the delivery of the UK Government’s critical, large and complex infrastructure projects across all sectors including Transport, Defence, Health and Education.
Nick’s experience includes:
- Strategic business advice to the Future Submarine and National Identity Service programmes, and other leading UK infrastructure projects such as Birmingham City Council’s Building Schools for the Future.
- Driving through innovative and bespoke commercial structures for a range of large and complex projects, while Head of the Ministry of Defence PFU. These projects include the £1.8bn Skynet 5 satellite project and the £2.5bn Future Strategic Tanker Aircraft project.
- Structuring and negotiating with lenders, as HM Treasury’s lead, the UK Government’s large and complex infrastructure projects including Allenby barracks (£1.5bn), Skynet 5 restructuring (£1.8bn), Royal London Hospitals (£1.1bn), London Underground PPP restructuring (£1.8bn) and the Future Strategic Tanker Aircraft project (£2.5bn).
- Building up up and leading SMBC’s PPP and infrastructure lending team into one of the largest in the European infrastructure market focusing on hospitals, roads and schools projects.
- As Head of HM Treasury’s Refinancing Taskforce, leading for HM Treasury on the restructuring of all UK PFI projects re-financed including the Tube Lines London Underground PPP.