||Ian is Head of Banking Treasury Advisory in our London office. A Cambridge Maths graduate, Ian has worked for a number of major UK banks including Barclays, NatWest, RBS Group and Tesco Bank. After an initial period in Corporate Banking the last 23 years have predominantly been in Group Treasury or Financial Markets with exposure to all aspects of treasury and ALM including capital management, ALM risks, market execution and bond issuance.
Ian’s recent experience includes:
- Group Treasurer, Tesco Bank – joined Tesco on secondment from RBS to help Tesco buy RBS’s 50% equity stake and stayed to become Treasurer of the bank. Built a treasury and ALM function up from scratch and acted as Executive sponsor of ICAAP and ILAA submissions. Most enjoyable project was executing what was then the largest retail bond transaction in the UK.
- Group Head of Capital, RBS Group – asked to take over responsibility for capital management 2 months before RBS was forced to raise £12bn in a rights issue. The main complicating factors were dealing with the transition to Basel 2 and the integration of ABN AMRO. Member of GALCO.
- Head of Non-Trading Market Risk Management, RBS Group - this team was responsible for the management of all non-trading market risks including interest rate in the banking book, FX exposures and pension risk. During this period also designed and implemented a hedge accounting solution for the Group on transition to IFRS. Also gained significant M&A experience as the treasury lead on a number of major acquisitions. Member of GALCO.
- Selected previous highlights include:
- executing the UK’s first regulatory approved mortgage securitisation issue
- implementing FTP within two major banking groups
- implementing ALM modelling capabilities
- opening large structural FX exposures to hedge key capital ratios to movements in FX
- developing a new MIS and performance measurement strategy for the new multiple delivery channel bank that was being created
- negotiating and helping to implement the Virgin One joint venture