Information, Intelligence and Insight
Due to the growing popularity of smartphones, tablets devices and USB dongles, wireless networks are under increasing strain to cope with demands on capacity.
With data traffic doubling every three and a half months for the last year, it is important to identify trends and regional usage peaks to get the most accurate forecast of future traffic possible.
Why is it an issue?
- Smartphones and their applications are built on the assumption that bandwidth is not constrained and ‘all you can eat’ data plans don’t incentivise customers to switch to WiFi where possible
- It may become more difficult for networks to remain profitable while supporting services that generate low revenue per megabyte. Networks will need to carefully balance consumer demand, competitive pricing plans and decreasing revenue per megabyte.
Key benefits of a network analytics solution will include improved customer experience, better management of costs and revenues and optimisation of network performance.
Deloitte can help clients to understand:
- How new products, services and devices will impact data usage levels
- Current network bottlenecks, and predict where they may occur in the future
- The correlation between customer demographic and capacity consumption
- The topology and performance landscape of your network by providing a unified view
- The capacity allocation across shared networks with third parties and Mobile Virtual Network Operators (MVNOs) through network and financial reconciliation
- The impact on margins as data usage increases, and associated pricing considerations.
Revenue for a TV show or movie is not just derived from advertising or box office results. Significant revenue is generated from sales of DVDs, Blueray, streaming, merchandise, box sets, tours, computer games, stage shows, soundtracks and other sources. Understanding the total revenue opportunity requires integrating data from all of these sources into a SVoB.
Why is it an issue?
- Without a consistent single view for a title or brand, performing analytics that improves revenue is made very difficult. A SVoB provides a rich set of data that enables proven data mining techniques to identify more effective windowing strategies, marketing mixes, demand forecasts and distribution channels. Additionally forming a view of the total profitability of a title or franchise is very difficult and prone to errors when sales and cost data are held in various systems across numerous divisions
- Without a SVoB it is easy to miss changes or spikes in a titles consumption or demand that if managed effectively can generate revenue with minimal marketing costs
- Media business’s are not typically geared towards addressing the numerous technical challenges when implementing a SVoB such as overcoming data quality, data consistency and data matching issues when integrating data from across numerous data sources.
Working with a clients, Deloitte builds a reporting and analytics platform to provide near real time analysis of a brand, utilising internal data, partner data, market data and social data.
All operators face the challenge of customer acquisition and retention, and the significant associated costs. Whilst it is desirable for operators to maximise their use of internal sales channels, indirect channels have a significant share of the market. As such, an operator can expect to spend anything between 5% and 15% of their annual turnover on commissions paid to indirect channels.
Why is it an issue?
Operators face considerable scope for error and financial loss, given that:
- Deals are negotiated individually between operators and their indirect channels, giving commercial terms for commissions to be paid for new acquisitions and retentions. Commercial terms are becoming increasingly complex and typically running simultaneously with prior agreements
- Large indirect channel partners will often have terms covering: pay per sale, volume payments, revenue sharing, upgrades, clawback
- Large dealers will often have open access to the handset market, adding to the scope of the negotiated terms.
Deloitte can help operators to
- Reduce revenue leakage
- Align rules with contractual obligations
- Minimise payment queries through greater transparency
- Highlight fraudulent activity.