Head of Real Estate Funds
David Brown is a senior partner in the Real Estate tax group of Deloitte in London and heads the Real Estate Funds practice working extensively on UK and pan-European real estate capital flows. During 2007/8, David undertook a secondment to our Sydney office, focusing on Australian investment into Europe, Asia and the US.
Throughout his career David has specialised in advising on the taxation aspects of real estate investment and development transactions and has led teams advising a number of real estate funds, property companies and private investors.
Frequently leading cross-border engagements, assisting clients on acquisitions, fund formation and other transactions within Europe and into the US and Asia.
Clients include AREA Property Partners, Aviva Investors, Europa Capital, Henderson Global Investors, Songbird/Canary Wharf Group and Westfield.
David has led the tax structuring in relation to a number of high profile property transactions including:
- AREA Property Partners’ acquisition, in joint venture with Delancey, of Minerva PLC in 2011;
- The disposal of part of Europa Capital Partners’ business to Rockefeller Group in 2010;
- Songbird’s equity raising and refinancing in 2009;
- Numerous fund-raisings including Westfield UK Shopping Centre Fund, Sonae Sierra Shopping Centre Fund, JP Morgan Greater European Opportunities Fund and Henderson’s UK Shopping Centre, Central London Office and European Outlet Mall Funds;
- Various IPOs including Invista Foundation Property Trust, Invista European Real Estate Trust, ING UK REIT and Alpha Pyrenees Trust.
- The establishment of numerous new real estate fund management businesses including Benson Elliot, Frogmore Real Estate Partners, Brockton Capital and Grove Capital.
He graduated from Cambridge University in 1990 and is a Chartered Accountant.
Contact David Brown