Grants and incentives
There are literally hundreds of grant schemes available in the UK but understanding which ones may be most appropriate and then completing the necessary application process can be complex. Deloitte recognises these challenges and has a dedicated team that work in this area. Senior members of our grant team have experience gained whilst on secondment with the principal grant providing bodies. We have over twenty years experience in this field and work with a range of indigenous and inward investing companies on a national basis. We have a 100% success record on all grant applications over a seventeen year period. We can provide a comparison of incentive opportunities at different locations throughout the UK and internationally.
We work with a team of more than 200 Deloitte grant consultants around Europe and a further 400 around the world. Over the past eighteen months the European team has secured more than €1.6 billion of incentives on behalf of our clients, involving both grant and R&D tax relief. We work with many companies to provide them with a global grant and incentive capability.
There are literally hundreds of millions of pounds available on an annual basis to support the development of business in the UK. However, it can be difficult to identify the appropriate scheme, the key drivers behind the scheme and the chance of success as schemes are frequently discretionary. To start this process you need to be able to define your investment plans.
Grant support – could I be eligible?
The starting point is to consider your medium-term investment plans. For example, do your three-year plans involve investment in one or more of the following areas?
- Premises: renting or purchasing real estate for your occupation
- Capital expenditure: plant and machinery, fixtures and fittings, land and buildings
- Personnel: the recruitment, training and/or development of staff
- Research and development: the development of new products or services, either on your own or with third parties
- Business improvements: efficiency improvements, energy efficiency, carbon footprint reduction.
If so, there may be an opportunity to secure support towards your investment plans provided no contractual commitment has been made to your project.
What type of projects may be eligible?
Eligible projects can be wide ranging, and include:
- Establishing a Shared Service Centre
- Relocation/expansion of back office functions
- Expansion of customer support activities e.g. contact centre/IT helpdesk
- Retention/expansion of Research and Development.
We are one of the world’s leading international business advisory practices, working successfully with a wide range of private and public clients to help them achieve their objectives. We have an experienced team of specialists who are dedicated to working in this arena.
The philosophy at Deloitte is to provide objective, realistic and practical business advice. Our role is to help operations grow and maximise their potential by taking advantage of credits and incentives.
How Deloitte can help
We are able to support you throughout the process. This can include:
- Review of operations. Meeting with you to understand your medium-term plans for the business, researching and reporting back to you on grant schemes that meet your requirements
- Advance notice on grant schemes. Early alerts on specific grant programmes that could meet your particular needs.
- Grant strategy. Through our detailed knowledge of the schemes we are able to provide you with a clear understanding of the merits of different grant funding routes. Some grant schemes are influenced by size of company and location of the project. We understand what this means in practice.
- The application process. We understand what the grant providers are looking for and can help you to position the project effectively.
- Meeting the grant providers. We provide a full hand-holding service that includes pre-meeting briefings and support to help ensure the application proceeds smoothly.
- The grant offer letter. Advice on any terms and conditions within the final grant offer letter.