Travel Intelligence Report 2009 by Travel Trade Gazette
Deloitte are proud sponsors of the first TTG Travel Intelligence Report 2009 which provides a unique, in-depth view of the past, present and future landscape of the travel industry.
The Report uses exclusive data from three leading travel market research companies: GfK Ascent-MI provide their booking data for the most comprehensive analysis available of the outbound market; OAG provides lists of all scheduled airline flights at every airport in the world; and The Network provides consumer surveys and research.
Some of the key findings of the Report:
- The market although around 11% down overall in terms of passenger numbers, actually saw average selling prices go up.
- High street travel agents drove up selling prices, unlike online/call centre channels.
- All-inclusive was the star performer in terms of holiday type this summer, but it may be reaching its peak.
- Tunisia has been tipped for big things in the budget market and Mexico could well make up ground lost due to swine flu.
- Nearly half the growth of scheduled flights from 2004-08 has been wiped out
- 61% of consumers said they believed holidays self-assembled on the internet were better value for money than packages.
- 20% of consumers planned to spend more on their holidays this year despite the recession.
For more information on our involvement in the Report or a better understanding of the market, please contact Deborah Griffin, Head of Travel and Director in Corporate Finance.