The dawn of mobile influence
Discovering the value of mobile in retail
Smartphones have influenced more than £15bn of in-store retail sales - 15 times the value of direct purchases made through mobile. Mobile is now at the forefront of many retailers’ agendas.
Deloitte has conducted a survey to assess smartphone usage among consumers and the influence of mobile, excluding tablets, on in-store sales. We found smartphones are already having a significant impact on the retail shopping journey.
- 58% of today’s UK consumers own a smartphone and by 2020, we estimate 100% of UK consumers to own a smartphone.
- Smartphone ownership is forecast to grow to 81% by 2016.
- 64% of smartphone users today use their mobile to make payments or their bills. However only 1% if those surveyed had paid in store using their smartphone (i.e. using NFC).
- In Africa, $500,000,000 worth of mobile transactions are processed each month.
- Whilst ¾ of smartphone users make use of GPS and location services only 1/5 are prepared to share information with retailers, even in return for financial benefit.