2009 Consumer Business Security Survey
Taking the longer term view
The second annual Consumer Business Security Survey allows companies in the industry to understand current security issues and provide a benchmark to their peers.
Deloitte have seen a real improvement in several areas of security over the past twelve months – a recognition perhaps of media coverage on data loss incidents still has the attention of senior management.
- Over half of the companies interviewed have experienced project cuts as the result of the economic downturn
- 91% of consumer businesses have experienced at least one information security breach in the last 12 months, a 27% increase from last year
- 48% of CB companies anticipate that social engineering will be a major threat to security in 2009
- 96% of consumer businesses have third parties with access to their customer data
- 57% do not carry out periodic security assessments once third parties have been engaged
- 74% of companies do not have a defined information security training and awareness programme
- 43% of CB companies have a formally defined information security strategy, compared with 20% last year