We have long recognised our responsibility to minimise the impact of our operations and services on the environment. In support of our commitment to operational sustainability, we operate an ISO 14001 accredited environmental management system (EMS) covering all of our UK operations. In 2012, we will extend this to our Swiss offices. Effective management has enabled us to achieve CEMARS accreditation, for improving the carbon efficiency of our buildings in each of the last 4 years.
In September 2011, we launched a new, ambitious, long-term environmental programme - ‘Our Green Journey’. We have set challenging targets to reduce our environmental impacts, we will monitor our ongoing performance on a quarterly basis and we will report publically on our progress through this website and our Annual Report.
Our Green Journey
Deloitte’s green agenda was given new impetus in September 2011 with the launch of ‘Our Green Journey’. Our new environmental strategy combines significant investment and invigorated engagement with our people, to help push Deloitte to the forefront of the market in sustainability innovation, thought leadership and environmental performance over the coming years. Highlights of Our Green Journey include:
- New, stretching targets (by 2020), including:
- reducing our carbon emissions from energy consumption by 30% per FTE
- reducing our carbon emissions from business travel by 25% per FTE
- reducing our waste production by 20% per FTE
- Projects to improve the sustainability of our estate and operations, including:
- solar PV panels being installed at Athene Place and Hill House, London,
- an ‘eco-garden’ on the roof of Athene Place, London,
- a new 300-place cycle facility,
- a refreshed Corporate Charge Card which generates donations to our rainforest charity when purchases are made
- Continuing to develop and grow our client offer in sustainability services.
- Greatly increasing the profile of our environmental activities, both internally and externally, and looking for new ways to engage and involve our people
Success to date
Over the past year, our key projects and successes have included:
- Attaining CEMARS accreditation for monitoring and reducing our direct and energy-related carbon emissions (GHG Protocol Scopes 1 and 2) by 6.8% between 2008 and 2011
- Sending zero waste to landfill from our London campus and diverting 89% of waste from landfill UK-wide
- Initiating a project to increase our high-definition video-conferencing facilities from 25 to 60 units
- Upgrading the lighting across our estate to utilise intelligent controls such as dimmer controls and PIRs
- Continuing to install automatic meter readers across our operational estate to provide us with centralised, live data for electricity, gas and water usage to enable real-time management
- Introducing a ‘bin-less office’ environment with central recycling facilities in all of our offices
- Introducing composting facilities and battery-recycling points in our larger buildings
More information is available in our annual report and financial statements .
View our Environmental policy statement.