Our Green Journey
- Working in partnership with West Yorkshire travel to reduce travel to work CO2 emissions. This year 37 people in the Leeds office signed up for annual travel passes through the discount scheme. This shows an increase of almost 20% on last year’s numbers.
- In August last year the Leeds office changed their waste disposal company and now divert 100% of their waste from landfill. Cardboard, paper and plastics are baled and sent to UK mills. Some paper grades are sent to animal bedding companies in the UK. Glass is bulked and sent to Barnsley glass. Metal is sent to Bradford for use in products such as cars, sheet metals and cans.
- We are aiming for a Gold Ska rating through the office refurbishment. There are a number of different ratings thresholds that will require us to monitor and review our Energy& CO2, Materials, and Pollution along with our Transport and Waste disposal.
- Our future plans include holding an efficient driving session, getting involved with cycle-to-work week, and repeating our spring clean initiative where we encouraged people to bring in their unwanted clothes etc.
- We have nine diversity network groups to support employees and the wider community.
- With more than 50 active members, these include our women’s, working parents and workability networks and various faith networks.
Supporting Local Charities
- Our current nominated Leeds office charities are Sue Ryder Care and Leeds Mencap, chosen in a poll by our people.
- Our North East fundraising target for 2012 is £33,000.
- Last year we raised over £32,000 for many different charities, including Help for Heroes, Leeds Mencap, Sue Ryder Care Homes and Disability Sport, proudly exceeding our target for 2011.
We encourage our staff to volunteer up to four hours of the firm’s time a month. Our people in Leeds have helped deliver employability workshops at colleges across the region as well as taking part in various community projects across the region.
Supporting Disability Sport
- Our national disability sport programme is the largest of its kind in the UK.
- We aim to lead the way in corporate support for disability sport.
- We support 13 Yorkshire based athletes through the Talented Athlete Scholarship Scheme (TASS).
- Our Yorkshire and North East teams in the 2010 and 2011 annual Deloitte Ride Across Britain have raised in excess of £8,000 for ParalympicsGB and are currently in the process of raising even more for the 2012 event.