January 9, 2014 – Focus on the audit committee: Issues for year-end
The environment facing organizations and their boards continues to be one of rapid change and continued uncertainty. As a result of the changing standards, continued regulatory scrutiny, reputational damage caused by fraud and cyber-attacks, the pressure on audit committees continues to increase. A focus on audit quality, while being good news for investors, may leave the audit committee with some questions as to how they can best fulfill their oversight responsibilities in this area. Some of the questions audit committee members may be contemplating include the following:
- With the continuing global focus on enhancing audit quality, what exactly is the audit committee expected to do?
- How can the audit committee guard the company’s reputational risk, especially when considering the issues of fraud and error?
- What is on the radar screen of the regulators?
These questions and many more will be considered by our panel as they help audit committee members prepare for year-end meetings and financial reporting filings.
The January 9, 2014 session of the Directors Series will focus on issues surrounding the quality of financial reporting and disclosure, the role of the audit committee in ensuring audit quality, a regulatory update on the OSC’s priorities for 2014, and much more.
This session is designed for Boards of Directors and C-level executives. Please join us at this complimentary session to hear from seasoned corporate directors, company executives and other professionals who will share their insights on current corporate governance issues.
Our panel includes the following members:
- Brian Hunt - Chief Executive Officer, CPAB (via pre-recording)
- Cameron McInnis - Chief Accountant, Ontario Securities Commission
- Bill MacKinnon - Chair of the audit committee, TELUS Corporation
- Kathleen O’Neill - Chair of the audit committee, Finning International Inc., ARC Resources Inc., Cadillac Fairview and Invesco Canada funds
- Jane Kinney - Canadian managing partner, quality and risk, Deloitte
- Don Wilkinson - Vice Chair, Deloitte
Register today! To join us in one of our centres across Canada,
Please note that presentations will be delivered in English. Discussions will be in both English and French.
To view past sessions of the Directors' Series or to access handout material provided during these sessions, visit our dedicated section of the Centre for Corporate Governance.
For directors who hold the ICD.D certification from the Institute of Corporate Directors, the Directors College C.Dir. designation from McMaster University or the Acc.Dir. accreditation from ICSA Canada, participation in the Deloitte Directors’ Series session counts for a two-hour credit towards the continuing education requirement. The session also counts as a two-hour credit for the ASC designation for Le Collège des administrateurs de sociétés.