Navigate, our semi-annual publication for the travel, hospitality and leisure industry, explores key trends and hot topics. Navigate: Winter 2013, the seventh edition of the series, includes the following:
World tourism trends
- Global arrivals during the first half of 2013 stood at $494 million, an increase of 5% compared to the same period last year.
- International spending continues with a total of $1.075 billion, increasing Global tourism receipts by 3.2% from last year.
Canadian travel outlook
- Emerging markets continue to be attracted to Canada with the exception of India, which has slumped 3.8% since 2012.
- The Canadian hospitality metrics remain healthy with revenue per available room growing faster than occupancy.
Winter travel and the challenge for Canadian ski resorts
- The participation rate of young Canadians in ski and snowboard activities has declined as the industry struggles to attract the next generation of ski and snowboard customers.
- Canadian tourism organizations are implementing new strategies to retain and attract customers.
Sustainability in the industry
- Formerly the domain of niche properties and chains looking to differentiate themselves, increasing the ‘green’ factor is becoming a pillar of good hotel management.
- Linking travel to nature while learning about the environment is making eco-tourism the fastest growing sector in travel.
Spotlight on Croatia
- Croatia has once again been highlighted on several top travel lists for 2013.
- 2013 will be a year of technological shifts for Croatia as it launches its viral campaigns: user-generated content, optimization of digital presence, Search Engine Optimization and Search Engine Marketing campaigns.