2011 Deloitte holiday outlook survey
Consumers spending with restraint
|Despite economic volatility and a foggy employment outlook, Canadians still plan on spending this holiday season; however, they intend to continue to pay down debt and stick to budgets while shopping. E-commerce and social media will continue to increase in importance as key sources of research.
Other factors that will influence shopping behaviour include the influx of U.S. retailers that have recently opened up shop in Canada, online flash deals and cross-border shopping trips. Find out what’s driving insights like these in Deloitte’s 2011 holiday outlook survey. This highly anticipated annual publication offers an in-depth look into consumer spending intentions, key trends within the retail industry, and insight into how new technology is influencing consumers' path to purchase.
Highlights from this year’s report:
- 60% of respondents plan on spending either the same or more as last year on holiday shopping
- Half of Canadians plan on sticking to a budget while shopping; the mean budget cited was $477
- 46% of respondents plan on doing some of their shopping at an outlet mall
- 33% of Canadians plan on using online sites to check products and prices
- 20% of respondents plan on using mobile applications to help them shop