In partnership with HSBC and Ace, the SIP offers Bermuda's top university students an intensive 10-week summer internship experience designed to expose them to different facets of the international business sector of Bermuda's economy. Launched in 2003, the SIP has provided nearly 100 Bermudians with knowledge and experience in the areas of insurance and reinsurance at ACE, finance at HSBC, and assurance, tax, accounting and consulting services at Deloitte.
It is expected that students will significantly increase their knowledge of Bermuda's international business sector which will enable them to make career choices that will ultimately lead to their completion of graduate and/or professional level education.
By combining resources, the three companies provide Bermuda’s students with an outstanding summer program that has attracted high potential students who we anticipate will go on to benefit the international business sector by becoming outstanding business professionals, management and/or community leaders.
The program consists of training modules supplemented with on the job experience and will:
- Provide hands-on experience of working in a continuous learning environment.
- Expose students to basic knowledge and skills used in the various service lines of each company.
- Introduce students to Bermuda’s international business environment and to its career opportunities.
- Provide students with information to enable them to make sound career choices.
- Promote teamwork among students within diverse professional work environments with involvement in a group project.
- Expose students to educational and experience requirements to enhance their potential for eventual employment in the international business sector.
- Give back to Bermuda by providing valuable, researched business recommendations to a targeted organization in the community.
- 12 Bermudian university students will undertake the program and will rotate amongst the three companies over a 10-week period.
- Timeline: June – August, with each rotation to be approximately two weeks.
- First week will consist of orientation and team building exercises taken by the group as a whole.
- The bulk of the internship includes challenging assignments at each partner organization to help the students internalize the working environments of each business, what they do and how they operate.
- Each company is committed to providing resources and a learning environment to maintain a high quality program and to the assist the interns to complete work assignments.
- The students are also assigned a highly qualified mentor/project leader.
- This is a paid internship, competitively rated. (Consider that some students work for free as interns in some fields, such as media, just for the experience).
- Students must be studying at accredited universities Applicants must have completed at least one year of university at an undergraduate level.
- Minimum GPA: 3.0 or U.K./Canadian equivalent
- Two character references required (or one academic; one character).
We regret to advise that the Summer Internship Program 2013 has been suspended until the Summer of 2014. We have enjoyed 10 years of enriching, developing and educating our Bermudian students with our partners ACE and HSBC. We look forward to the submission of your applications in November of 2013 for our 2014 program.
The SIP Committee