Technology, media and telecommunications trends for 2009
The popular annual Deloitte Technology, Media & Telecommunications Predictions reports explore a number of emerging industry trends that will have a significant impact on business now and in the future.
The 2009 series of predictions has drawn on internal and external inputs from conversations with member firm clients, contributions from Deloitte Touche Tohmatsu member firms' 6,000 partners and practitioners specializing in technology, media and telecommunications, discussions with financial and industry analysts, and conversations with trade bodies.
The need for technology sector to deliver cost efficiencies, drive productivity improvements and provide the foundation for new products and services remains as vital as ever.
- Will companies take control of their power consumption for technology?
- Will consumers seek out generic technology brands?
- Will the netbook grow?
The media sector is expected to be buffeted by grueling macroeconomic conditions in the year to come.
- Will television rediscover its self-belief?
- Will we see the reinventing of mobile television?
- Will mobile advertising find its meaning?
Reliance on the telecommunications sector to keep the businesses and the people of the world connected remains as critical as ever
- Will operators start making smarter use of the smart phone?
- What will be the impact of application stores on operators?
- How will mobile termination rate cuts affect the mobile industry?