Frequently asked brand list questions
Click one of the following links for an answer to the following frequently asked questions:
- Can other brands be included in this list?
- Who has established these criteria?
- Is this a list of the world’s most valuable brands?
- How do you recommend domain name registries use this list? What should this list be used for specifically?
- How did Deloitte decide on the criteria?
- Did any specific registry or brand owner influence the decision on who would be on the list?
- How to get my brand on the list?
- What special protection or other benefit will those on the list receive?
- It seems unfair that a certain company is not listed while another company is... How does Deloitte justify this?
Can other brands be included in this list?
Depending on whether or not the trademark community deems this list useful, Deloitte will update this list on an annual basis. Any suggestions with respect to the criteria used or other brands to be included on the list may be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Who has established these criteria?
Deloitte has autonomously established these criteria, looking into the objectives of the GPML, which was included in the recommendations formulated by the IRT and other industry best practices.
However, Deloitte does not assert or claim in any way that this list is “the” GPML envisaged by the IRT.
This list is in fact nothing more than an exercise in establishing criteria which can never be perfect and/or perfectly measurable and testing brands against such criteria on the basis of available information. This exercise has been carried out in an effort to further the interests of the industry and the process upon which new domain registries may choose to rely on a list as they put in place extensive rights protection mechanisms in the context of their launch processes.
Is this a list of the world’s most valuable brands?
Other entities seem to publish on an annual or other regular basis a list of the world’s most famous, valuable, trustworthy and/or popular brands.
The list Deloitte is publishing does not have this objective. The criteria that we have been using are an attempt to provide an overview of brands that, according to our information, have made significant efforts in
- Protecting their trademarks
- Registering their trademarks as domain names
- Promoting their offline and online presence and
- Enforcing their rights in the domain name space
By publishing this list Deloitte does not suggest that the brands not appearing on the list are unworthy of inclusion or make any qualitative judgments of any sort.
How do you recommend domain name registries use this list? What should this list be used for specifically?
Some registries have already expressed their interest to use this list in the context of the rights protection mechanisms they are putting in place. However, Deloitte does recommend this list to be used with the utmost caution and care, considering the list's objective.
Please note that Deloitte retains all rights, title and interest in the list and will only allow a third party to use or publish this list after having obtained our explicit written approval.
How did Deloitte decide on the criteria?
In defining the criteria, Deloitte has looked at the overarching objective, being “defining a list of brands that stand out in terms of protection and enforcement in the domain name space”.
Did any specific registry or brand owner influence the decision on who would be on the list?
No, although Deloitte has been approached by some. For this reason, Deloitte decided to put in place a point of contact for brand owners who wish to share their information and experiences with us and for us to potentially consider when drafting future versions of the list.
How to get my brand on the list?
As said before, it is no longer possible to add another brand onto the current version of the list. However, since this list has been established based on the information at our disposal (which may not be complete or fully accurate) and additional criteria may be considered in future versions, we cordially invite brand owners to register their interest by sending an email to email@example.com and they will be contacted when we are working on the next version.
What special protection or other benefit will those on the list receive?
As far as Deloitte is concerned, no “special protection” or “benefit” is granted to brand owners appearing on the list. If other parties wish to use this list in order to give such protection or benefit to brand owners, they should contact Deloitte via firstname.lastname@example.org and obtain Deloitte's prior written approval, which may be given subject to certain conditions.
It seems unfair that a certain company is not listed while another company is... How does Deloitte justify this?
This list has been established on the basis of
- Criteria unilaterally set by Deloitte
- Information available to Deloitte and
- “Weights” that Deloitte has awarded against such criteria on the basis of this information
Therefore, if a brand owner is of the opinion that its brand should have been included, the reason for not including that brand is probably due to
- The brand not meeting the criteria defined by Deloitte or
- The fact that Deloitte did not dispose of all or inaccurate information in order to test such brand against these criteria.
Brand owners are free to provide additional information in order to be considered in future versions of this list.