What the brand list is not ...
As with any list, also the Deloitte brand list has its limitations:
- It is not intended to be “the” Globally Protected Marks List (GPML) as referenced by the IRT. Instead, it is merely an overview of brands that, according to the information and analysis obtained by Deloitte, have made significant efforts in protecting their trademarks, registering their trademarks as domain names, promoting their offline and online presence and enforcing their rights in the domain name space.
- It is not intended to be a list of “famous and well-known trademarks”, nor is it a list of “most valuable or trusted brands” which are published on a regular basis by other parties.
- The list has been established on the basis of information that is largely available in the public domain and is readily and easily available. However, some of the information used in establishing this list may not necessarily be easily available for the general public (e.g. the number of times a trademark has been invoked in previous rights protection mechanisms organised by TLDs and managed by Deloitte).
- Due to the impossibility to “measure” trademarks, trademark protection and trademark enforcement, this list does not aim to be mathematically accurate. Trademarks are in fact in a constant state of flux. New trademarks emerge on a daily basis, whilst – as the recent financial crisis has proven – famous trademarks can in some cases disappear overnight. Therefore, this list intends to provide a fair view on which brands are standing out in safeguarding and enforcement in relation to the criteria set out without stating that other brands are not.
- Considering the above, this list does not express any qualitative or quantitative judgment, nor an expert opinion; it is not a list of most valuable, reliable or trusted brands, as published by other entities all over the world.
We understand and accept that this list could spark a vigorous debate. Some will object to the appearance of certain brands on the list, while others will object to the exclusion of certain other brands.
This list is not a final list and will always remain a “work in progress”. We therefore cordially invite any comments, remarks or suggestions from the public at large.
Please note that, this list cannot be relied on by any party in any way, and no party can derive rights from this list without Deloitte's prior written consent, which can be given under certain conditions or even withheld at our discretion.