Customs Alert (23/05/2012)
New Regulation concerning the specifications of food additives
Food additives must comply with specifications which should include information adequately identifying the food additive, including origin and a description of the acceptable purity criteria.
Food additives are:
- Food or table-top sweeteners;
- Artificial colourants or substances which restore colour in foods;
- Preservatives prolonging shelf-life of foods by protecting them against deterioration by micro-organisms;
- Antioxidants prolonging shelf-life of foods by protecting them against oxidation e.g. fat rancidity, colour changes;
- Stabilisers to maintain the physical and chemical state of foodstuffs;
- Emulsifiers to maintain the mixture of oil and water in foodstuffs.
Click on the below link to view and download the full alert article.
Full article (click on title to open)