Insights from Deloitte's 2009 global shared services survey
The global economic crisis has had a major impact on the perception of shared services within both public and private sector organisations. An overwhelming emphasis on cost control has meant shared services are seen as an even greater asset now than in strong economic times. Organisations are more willing to push through difficult changes to help drive renewed growth as economies show early signs of recovery.
Covering 265 organisations representing 702 shared services centres across all major industries, the Deloitte 2009 biannual Global Shared Services Survey – the sixth we have conducted - identified new opportunities and challenges for shared services including:
- Acceleration of offshoring and outsourcing initiatives
- Expansion of the scope of shared services
- New mandates to tackle tough legacy organisational and structural issues
- Increased delivery of higher value advisory services previously not considered
- Greater use of shared services to support broader business goals.