Western Australian Stock Exchange Index – Diggers & Dealers special edition
Welcome to the Diggers & Dealers 20 year Anniversary special edition of the Deloitte WA Stock Exchange Index (Deloitte WA Index), a monthly review of Western Australian (WA) stocks and indices.
Highlights from this special edition of the Deloitte WA Index include:
- The market capitalisation of WA listed companies as at 30 June 2012 was AU$140.7bn, a decrease of 23.2% over the past 12 months
- Over the last 12 years (since commencement of the Deloitte WA Index) there was only one year worse than this, the 12 months ended 30 June 2009, where the WA Index fell by 38.5%, following the impact of the GFC
- Despite the 2012 outcome, we have seen a 343% cumulative increase in WA stocks over the past 12 years reflecting strong underlying growth
- Commodity prices and precious metals have fallen from their 2011 high, with gold the only winner in this period increasing by 5.7% in the year to 30 June 2012
- We recognise the exceptional growth of three mining companies over the past 12 months. These companies were:
- Evolution Mining Limited, which increased its market capitalisation from AU$242m to just over AU$1.0bn over the year ended 30 June 2012
- Northern Star Resources Limited, which increased its market capitalisation from AU$140m to AU$314m over the year ended 30 June 2012
- Papillon Resources Limited, which increased its market capitalisation from AU$112m to AU$238m over the year ended 30 June 2012
- We pay tribute to the mining and mining services companies that have survived more than 20 years as Australian listed companies and congratulate them on their longevity and success
- Feature articles including:
- An interview with Chairman of Diggers & Dealers, Barry Eldridge, on the 20 year history of the forum, changes to the mining industry as a whole during this time and opportunities and challenges ahead
- The rise of China – where to next?
- Performance improvement
- People first
- Regulatory Olympics.
If you have any questions in relation to the Deloitte WA Index please contact Marta Klimczak.