Gonski Review: Examining the implications for school funding
Summary of issues raised by sector leaders at Deloitte hosted forum
This conversation summary highlights the headline findings of the Gonski Review and key topics of interest raised by education sector executives and leaders at Deloitte’s recently hosted public consultations on the implications of the Review.
Lead by Deloitte’s Public Sector Leader, Andrew Johnstone-Burt and Deloitte Access Economics’, Lachlan Smirl, key themes that emerged from the public consultations included:
- The potential catalyst the Gonski Review provides for the invigoration of school funding reform in Australia
- Recognition that much analysis, refinement and good-faith negotiations remains to enhance educational outcomes
- Acknowledgement that cooperation between different levels of government is critical
- The challenges in transitioning the Review’s conceptual recommendations to practical policy
- Concerns around the implementation timetable
- The consideration of alternate measurement regimes
- Remaining mindful that funding is just one factor in a broader education policy environment.
For a summary of these conversation points and the Review’s headline recommendations please click on the “download” button above.
We welcome your comments and inputs to the discussion around the future of school funding and the broader spectrum of education policy in Australia. To speak with one of our education experts please reach out to the key contacts listed on this page.