Contribution of the not-for-profit sector
On 17 March 2009, the Productivity Commission was requested by the Australian Government to undertake a research study into the contribution of the Not-For-Profit (NFP) sector.
The terms of reference included:
- Assessing the contribution of the NFP sector
- Improving the measurement of its contributions
- Identifying obstacles to its development
- Considering options for improving the efficiency and effectiveness of delivering government funded services
- Examining changes to the relationship between governments, business and community organisations
- Examining the impact of taxation on the ability of NFPs to raise funds.
The Commission’s Report was submitted to the Government in January 2010 and released on 11 February 2010.
The attached report for Life without Barriers is a summary of the main recommendations presented in the Productivity Commission Report as well as the overlap between the Commission’s Report and other developments impacting on the NFP sector, such as the Henry Tax Review and the National Compact.