Partner, National Leader Tax
Tel: +61 3 9671 7592
Helen leads Deloitte’s Life Sciences industry group in Australia, having had many years’ experience in the Life Sciences/Biotechnology and Health Care industry, providing tax consulting and compliance services to publicly listed and large multinational companies. As lead tax partner on a number of clients, Helen has a proven track record of delivering strategic solutions by capitalising on opportunities and managing tax risks.
Helen brings the right technical expertise to help clients obtain the best commercial outcome. Helen has advised on licensing deals, demergers, implementing offshore structures, intellectual property management and location, supply chain management projects, assisting in negotiations with various tax authorities on tax accommodation and capital raisings.
Areas of expertise
Helen is passionate about the Life Sciences, Biotechnology industry and has a deep understanding of the life cycle of Biotechnology and Medical Device companies and the tax issues they face. She assists her clients in the following areas:
- Strategic tax planning
- Structuring of intellectual property, including favourable global locations
- Obtaining tax concessions/tax holidays/grants in other favourable jurisdictions (e.g. Singapore and Switzerland)
- Capital raisings and capital management
- Cash repatriation and funding strategies
- Tax losses management
- Tax risk management and liaising with the Australian Taxation Office
Helen has presented on numerous occasions at AusBiotech and BioMelbourne events on tax topics relevant to the industry, as well as being the organiser and presenter at the Deloitte quarterly boardroom lunches for the CEOs and CFOs of leading Life Sciences/Biotechnology companies. She is currently a member of the Australian Biotechnology Victorian committee.
Qualifications and Professional Affiliations
- Bachelor of Laws (with Honours) – the University of Melbourne
- Bachelor of Science – the University of Melbourne
- Master of Commerce (majoring in Accounting) – the University of NSW
- Master of Laws – the University of Melbourne
- Chartered Tax Adviser
- Associate of the Institute of Chartered Accountants in Australia