Chief Executive Officer
Tel: +61 2 9322 7063
Giam Swiegers is Chief Executive Officer of Deloitte Australia. Giam began his career as an auditor with Deloitte in South Africa, and worked for Deloitte in the USA. He emigrated from South Africa in 1997 and moved into his current role on 1 June 2003.
Giam has been a member of Deloitte’s Global Board and Global Board Governance Committee for three years. He is now a member of the Deloitte Global Executive Committee.
His stewardship of the Australian practice has led the firm to achieve the CFO Magazine 2006 and 2008 ‘Accountancy Firm of the Year’ awards, and the 2008 Deloitte Global ‘Standard of Excellence Award’ for innovation management. In 2011 Deloitte was the winner of the BRW Client Choice Award – Best Accounting Firm. In the AFR Capital CFO awards Deloitte was named Accounting Firm of the Year in both 2012 and 2013, and Audit Firm of the Year in 2013.
On the people side, Giam has introduced an ‘inspiring women’ initiative in the firm. In awards issued by the Equal Opportunity for Women in the Workplace Agency, Giam was named ‘Best CEO for the advancement of women in business’ in 2005 and Deloitte Australia was named as the 2008 ‘Best firm for the advancement of women’. In September 2006 Giam was recognised by the Australian HR Awards, winning the ‘HR Champion – CEO’ award. In 2012 Deloitte was awarded “Inclusive Workplace of the Year” in the Australian Human Resources Institute Diversity Awards.
Deloitte Australia recorded a net revenue of over $1 billion for the 2013 financial year. With over 500 partners plus a team of more than 5,500 people, the Australian practice comprises 16 offices covering every Australian state, plus Papua New Guinea and Timor Leste.
Giam played 1st Grade Rugby and is a passionate golfer, fly fisherman and wine lover.
Professional and academic qualifications
- B.Com University of Pretoria
- Chartered Accountant (South Africa)
- Chartered Accountant (Australia)
- Member - Business Council of Australia
- Member – BCA Innovation Task Force
- Fellow - Institute of Chartered Accountants Australia
- Member - Institute of Chartered Accountants, South Africa
- Member - Sex Discrimination Commissioner's Male Champions of Change group
- Member – Australian School of Business (UNSW) Advisory Council
- Member - University of Technology Sydney Industry Advisory Board
- Member – Art Gallery of NSW President’s Council.